Saturday, June 26, 2010

Spiritual Craft



We just got back from an amazing vacation to Hawaii and while we were there I discovered another kind of craft that I really connected with. There are several sacred spaces near the river where we were and these spaces were once used by ancient Hawaiians as ritual grounds. It could have been for birth or ceremony, even for sacrifice. These special places were fascinating to me. I felt such a strong connection with my spirit when I was visiting them and touched and curious about the people to whom these spaces were so sacred.

At one of these sacred places I took this photo. I think it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen and filled me with a feeling of delight. It's some kind of offering to the spirits who rest there or are connected to that place. I love how it looks like a little present, but completely made from nature. It made me realize my true spiritual connection to myself and the world lies in creativity and nature. I'm still sorting out how this will play a role in my life going forward, but I just love this little sacred package.

Where do you feel most connected with your spirit? Are there things you will teach your children about how to connect with theirs?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a great trip. I'm jealous! I think I feel most at peace when I am paying attention to nature - watching clouds or stars, listening to the frogs and insects, watching the wind blow through the trees. I hope to pass this same awe with nature and the universe to our child(ren) by spending quiet time in the backyard or the park. Now I'm wishing it wasn't a heat index of 107 so I could sit out in the backyard!

    ReplyDelete